28 March 2010

Banksy and graffiti

And now something completely different: Graffiti art. I was making an exam for cultural studies, and one of the questions was about a graffiti artist. While I analysed that work of art, I caught some empathy for that artist. He's called Banksy, but of course that's not his real name. None of the graffiti artists use his own name. Banksy makes graffiti paintings with a pacifistic message. His work is a manifest against the establishment and for freedom. The painted subjects are most of all animals (like rats and apes) and humans (like cops, grannies, children and soldiers).

I do like his work, cause of the humoristic issues he exposed. Quite often the work is combined with a slogan and that makes me think about the subjects he discussed. You do not just pass it by, but makes you realize that not everything is as it supposed to be. Besides this, the work is often placed on places where a lot of passers-by are, so many people can look at the paintings.




I really love the one with the anarchist and his ikea kit.
If you might be interested, then you can find here more information about Banksy and his inside and outside work.

What's your opinion about his art?

No comments: