04 July 2010

Dublin - Sunday Bloody Sunday

Allright, I failed. I should have posted something yesterday about Dublin, but I completely forgot about that. Well, I'll make it up to you by posting something about Irish music and film in one post. Here I go!

After some surfing on the internet, I discovered that one of the most historical moments of Ireland is Bloody Sunday. Bloody Sunday was the Sunday of the 30th January of 1972 on which a group of British paratroopers opened the fire on fourteen innocent Irish men in Derry, North Ireland. The fourteen people were demonstrating for human rights, but that demonstration was forbidden by the British government and that's why they opened the fire. Really, really awful. Still this happening isn't judged by the court, but there's a good chance that those British militairs are going to be prosecuted.

This dreadfull happening is still a big issue in films and in music. A good example of this, is the song of U2, called Sunday, Bloody Sunday. I think you probably might know this song, but for those who do not know it, I'll show you the videoclip and its lyrics. On the video you can also see some pictures of that bloody day in 1972.


I can't believe the news today,
I can't close my eyes and make it go away.
How long, how long must we sing this song?
How long? Tonight we can be as one.

Broken bottles under children's feet,
Bodies strewn across a dead end street,
But I won't heed the battle call,
It puts my back up, puts my back up
against the wall.

Sunday, bloody Sunday.
Sunday, bloody Sunday.

And the battle's just begun,
There's many lost, but tell me who has won?
The trenches dug within our hearts,
And mothers, children, brothers, sisters torn
apart.

Sunday, bloody Sunday.
Sunday, bloody Sunday.

How long, how long must we sing this song?
How long, Tonight we can be as one.
Tonight, tonight.

Sunday, bloody Sunday.
Sunday, bloody Sunday.

Wipe the tears from your eyes,
Wipe your tears away,
Wipe your blood shot eyes.

Sunday, bloody Sunday.
Sunday, bloody Sunday.

And it's true we are immune.
When fact is fiction and T.V. is reality,
And today the millions cry,
We eat and drink while tomorrow they die.
The real battle just begun.
To claim the victory Jesus won,
On a Sunday bloody Sunday,
Sunday bloody Sunday.

I have to admit that I'm most of all not a true fan of U2, but I'm a fan of musicians who make not just music, but music that has a message. And I think U2 is a band who makes that kind of music.

This day is not only used for music, but also in the filmindustries. Bloody Sunday, a film directed by the British director Paul Greengrass, tells the story of that horrible day. But the remarkable thing of that film is that it's produced by an Irish producer called Jim Sheridan. So, for the movie Ireland and Brittain work together, while they have a conflict in the movie itself. Of course, that conflict of 1972 is not still in progress, but it remains remarkable. Here you can see a trailer of that movie, produced in 2002 by the way.




Bit by bit I'm learning a lot of Dublin and its history and culture, and I love it! If Dublin suits me, I'll consider to visit that country some more!

No comments: