This week I'll try to show you each day some aspect of the Irish culture, with its Guiness, buildings, music, films, traditions, etcetera. I want to start with the architecture of Ireland, which has a great history. The architecture passes through a few movements.
The architecture has its origin in the Medieval buidlings. Within that movement you can see both Gothic and Roman architecture. Roman architecture is recognisable by his rectangular towers and his many castles. Gothic features itself by his ornamental, little towers on each side of the buidling. I'll show you some examples:
This is an example of such a Roman castle
And here you can see what I mean with Irish Gothicism
(do you see the little ornaments?)
In the 18th century a new kind of movement appears, the Georgian style. After the Renovation in the 16th and 17th century, the Georgian style was on its way. Its features are mainly symmetry and regularity, for Georgian architecture is often used for terraced houses and that kind of buildings. It's quite clear that this style also knows a lot of features of other previous styles, like that Medieval style I discussed before. At last I want to point to the featured colours of the Georgian buildings, which are most of al ochre, white and red.
This is the Four Courts in Dublin. Our hostel is called The Four Courts Hostel, so that's a kind of funny! Truly want to visit this building in those six days I'm there.
After the Georgian period, there was the Victorian movement in which England governed the country. Due to their government, a lot of statues were build. A good example for the Victorian architecture is the St.Mary cathedral in Killarney. I'll show you a picture of it:

Well, as you can see there is not very much difference between the movements. All of the movements have a lot in common and Ireland is and stays a bit Medieval. But I like it, and I'm sure those six days are going to be great!



2 comments:
hee interessante update! tussen de victoriaanse stijl en de gotiek is inderdaad weinig verschil(is victoriaans niet neo-gotiek? Het is in dezelfde periode. net als dat Georgiaanse, dat is zeg maar Rococo(op het eerste gezicht dacht ik Barok of maniƫrisme, maar had het even opgezocht). Ik ken eigenlijk alleen de grote stromingen, en sommige zijn echt moeilijk uit elkaar te halen vind ik... zoals renaissance, maniƫrisme en barok.(in de architectuur in elk geval, van schilderijen enzo weet ik helemaal niks)
deze site vind je misschien wel wat: http://abduzeedo.com er staan vaak mooie graphic designs op, maar ook stukjes over architectuur. Ze hebben steeds terugkomende onderwerpen, zoals ook typografie enzo. Het is wel bijna allemaal hedendaags(behalve soms wat retro dingen)
Haha, ik dacht al dat jij dit leuk zou vinden ;) Victoriaans is inderdaad wel te vergelijken met de neogotiek. En het Geogriaanse noemen ze Georgiaans omdat het in de periode van de heerschappij van koning George I tm George IV valt, maar het is inderdaad ook goed te vergelijken met de Rococo.
Hmm, het verschil tussen de Renaissance en de Barok is dat de Barok echt veel meer ornamenten etc kent dan de Renaissance. De Renaissance is echt puur gericht op het hergebruiken van de stijl van de klassieke oudheid. Maar toch blijft het verschil wel lastig inderdaad ;)
Ik zal eens op die site kijken! :)
Als ik je niet meer spreek, fijne vakantie alvast :)
Post a Comment